Best Dental Insurance in Florida 2021
This review will help you understand all the important aspects of dental insurance. The article also suggests the best dental insurance in Florida so you can make an informed decision.
Many people are hesitant to get dental insurance, believing they might not need it. But dental issues can occur anytime to any family member due to lack of dental hygiene, illness, or even an accident.
Keep in mind that the standard health insurance you might have does not cover dental services. Therefore, investing specifically in dental insurance in Florida is a wise decision as the cost for dental treatments can add up rather quickly. If you are looking for dental insurance providers outside of Florida, make sure to check our list of best dental insurance providers in the US.
Florida dental insurance providers offer comprehensive dental plans, independent plans, and additional coverage to help you maintain your dental health at a good rate.
How Does Dental Insurance in Florida Work?
Dental insurance works in similar ways to health insurance. Depending on the type of dental plan you select, you get some dental benefits, including preventive care, x-rays, cleanings, checkups, and more.
Like senior dental insurance in Florida and individual dental insurance in Florida, certain plans offer a broader or more specific range of coverage besides covering the basic procedures. You might also find insurers offering dental insurance in Florida with no waiting period and plans that also cover major procedures like root canals.
The specific benefits you get depends on the coverage policy you purchase.
How to Obtain Best Dental Insurance in Florida?
Dental and vision insurance providers in Florida have a straightforward procedure for potential policyholders to sign up. It is wise to first determine what exactly you want before finalizing your purchase. Unlike health care insurance plans, there isn’t any open enrollment period for dental insurance, which means you can obtain the insurance any time of the year unless otherwise stated.
You must ask your potential Florida dental insurance providers about the benefits, costs, and other factors that can impact your insurance to find the right plan for you and your family.
What do Dental Insurance Plans Typically Cover?
Typically, the dental insurance plans in Florida cover the following:
- Preventive care, such as dental cleaning and x-rays
- Basic procedures, such as fillings
- Major procedures, like crowns and dentures
Other benefits and procedures might also be covered, depending on the plan you select and your insurance provider.
What Is Not Covered?
While it depends on the insurance provider, the following services are not usually offered in standard dental plans:
- Adult orthodontia, such as braces
- Pre-existing conditions
- Cosmetic dentistry, like teeth whitening
Average Cost of Dental Insurance in Florida
You must be wondering now, ‘how much does dental insurance cost in Florida?’ You can expect to pay around $20 to $50 per month or $20 to $600 per year for dental insurance plans in Florida. The cost might lower if your insurance provider offers discounts.
Dental insurance in Florida can cost differently depending on various factors, including:
- Coverage limits
- Deductible amount
- Services covered
The coverage you are getting, like family coverage or individual coverage, can also impact the overall cost. It is essential to consider these factors to find affordable dental insurance in Florida.
The following table lists the average expense of common dental treatments in different states to give you a better idea about the Florida dental insurance average cost:
|Dental Treatment Service||Dental Price/Estimated Cost in New Jersey||Dental Price/Estimated Cost in Oregon||Dental Price/Estimated Cost in Florida|
|Crown or Cap||991||980||776|
|Filling or Repair||337||231||150|
|Root Canals (Endodontics)||1,039||1,030||969|
The cost of dental services and treatment in Florida is relatively lower than in other states.
How to Find Affordable Plans in Florida?
One good way you can find cheap dental insurance in Florida is by searching on numerous online platforms. There you will find the best dental insurance in Florida at affordable rates. These platforms narrow down your choices according to your location to get quotes from top insurers and let you make cost comparisons.
Best Dental Insurance Companies in Florida
Here is a quick overview of the best dental insurers in Florida:
|Company||Best for||Key Features||Overall Rating/5|
|Cigna||Overall dental care||
|United Healthcare||Basic coverage||
|Physicians Mutual||For seniors’ dental care||
|Delta Dental||Affordable insurance||
Here are detailed reviews of the best Florida dental insurance companies to help you decide:
Cigna dental insurance in Florida offers the most comprehensive plans and simple policies at affordable prices. The company has a good financial strength rating and a wide network of dentists around the country. Here are the pros and cons of Cigna insurance:
- You can get a dental plan that covers both orthodontic care and restorative care
- All the plans include preventive care without any copays or deductibles
- A network of more than 90,000 dentists around the country
- The plans don’t include cosmetic treatments or dental implants
- The basic care plan has a waiting period of 6 months, and major services have a waiting period of 12 months
The Guardian dental insurance in Florida features both DHMO and PPO plans. This insurer offers outstanding basic dental coverage at competitive rates. The company enjoys strong financial standing. The coverage includes implants, crowns, root canals, x-rays, and cleanings. Here are the pros and cons:
- Highly affordable preventive care that includes checkups and cleanings
- It has a network of more than 100,000 dentists nationwide
- The cost calculator on their website gives an accurate cost estimate for various dental treatments
- The ACA dental coverage plans are available in a few states
The United Healthcare dental insurance in Florida is suitable for basic dental coverage on a budget. It has a high customer satisfaction score and financial strength. It also has a wide network of dental care providers. Here are the pros and cons:
- There is no age limit
- A simple and quick online application and quote process
- Low coinsurance fees
- Only one dental plan includes orthodontics care
- It doesn’t offer a plan comparison on the website
- It has a waiting period of 6 months for major dental treatments
The Physicians Mutual dental insurance in Florida is the best option for seniors as it covers about 350 dental treatments, including crowns and dentures. The company has strong financial strength. It also offers three plans that can meet different budgets. Here are the pros and cons:
- There isn’t any waiting period for preventive treatments
- It doesn’t have any deductibles
- There are no annual or lifetime limits
- The waiting period for basic treatments is 3 months and 12 months for major treatments
- There is a limit to the amount the insurer pays for each procedure
Delta Dental insurance in Florida is one of the biggest dental insurers in the country. It is among the most affordable dental insurance options in Florida and also offers the most comprehensive dental coverage.
The company is responsible for the claim process of its in-network dental care providers, which means you only have to pay your share of the treatments. It has a network of more than 348,000 dental care providers. Here are the pros and cons:
- Preventive care doesn’t require any out-of-pocket expense
- Most plans include orthodontic treatments
- No waiting period
- An extensive network of dentists
- Plans differ greatly in costs and annual benefits
- Low annual maximums for benefits
- Only 50% orthodontic treatments coverage
You are now equipped with the relevant information to help you find the best dental insurance in Florida to protect and maintain your dental health without putting a major dent in your wallet.
Pros & Cons
What dental insurance is available in Florida?
The most common type of dental insurance available in Florida is as follows:
- Fee-for-Service or Indemnity Dental Care: This coverage plan enables you to select the dental care provider, and the insurer pays the predetermined cost of the dentist’s fee.
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Dental Health Maintenance Organization (DHMO): This is the most affordable dental insurance option in Florida and other states. The premiums are generally low in this plan, but you have to select the dental health provider from the insurer’s network.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO): This plan is usually pricier than the others but offers the most flexibility. You can even select the dental care provider, even one not in the insurer’s network.
What is the best dental insurance in Florida with no waiting period?
Delta Dental is known as the best dental insurance with no waiting period in Florida. It is also one of the most affordable dental insurance options in Florida featuring multiple orthodontic care plans and other benefits.
Are there any significant discounts?
Most of the Florida dental insurance providers offer discounts to their policyholders. You can get significant discounts by purchasing lower-priced or bulk packages. Some dental plans in Florida also offer special deals where you can save money on various dental services, like dentures and cleaning.