Home > Insurance

How Much Does Therapy Cost Without Insurance?

Last modified: Jul 24, 2023

Have you ever wondered how much does therapy cost without insurance? This article will give you all the information you need about getting therapy without insurance and what you can expect to pay. 

How Much Does a Therapist Cost?

Therapy helps with various mental health and behavioral difficulties through communication and the development of skills with a trained mental health expert. 

For people without health insurance, the cost of an hour-long session is between $60 to $250. The cost of seeing a therapist is determined by the number of sessions you schedule, your location, and whether your therapist charges by the hour or by the session, among other factors. 

However, the rates of therapy sessions for those without health insurance are different around the US. For example, if you go to a therapist in New York or Los Angeles, the hourly charge for a therapist might be around $300. 

Related: How Much Does a Psychiatrist Cost Without Insurance?

Cost of Therapy

When it comes to the cost and how expensive therapy is, most therapists charge an hourly rate of $80. 

However, the cost may be different for sliding scale therapy. This type of therapy is when the treatment’s price depends on a person’s income. 

Around 400 million people, or one out of every four people, suffer from mental health issues that interfere with their daily life. However, only approximately 35% of those people seek therapy.  

Additionally, these mental health issues have begun to affect more young people, especially after the social isolation that the pandemic imposed on us and the rise of social media. Therefore, being able to afford therapy is more important than ever. 

Types of Insurance and its Coverage of Therapy Costs

If you already have health insurance, you may be wondering if therapy is covered by your insurance. Health insurance policies often include therapist visits, group treatment, emergency mental healthcare, and addiction treatment services.

Insurance covers most types of therapies, but you should be aware of their differences, including the following: 

Psychodynamic therapy evolved from psychoanalysis, which is a long-term treatment for mental illness. You can talk about anything on your mind during psychoanalysis to find patterns in your thoughts or behavior that may contribute to your distress. It's also customary to discuss your past and childhood and any reoccurring dreams you might have.

Behavioral therapy is a method of treating mental illness that is action-oriented. According to behavioral therapy, certain behaviors emerge from prior experiences that negatively impact your life. Therefore, you can change your responses using behavioral therapy.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a mental health treatment used for a brief time. It's comparable to behavioral therapy, but it focuses on unproductive mental patterns or troublesome thoughts. Humanistic therapy examines how your worldview influences your decisions, particularly those distressing to you.  

Related: Is Dental Insurance Worth It?

How to Get Free Therapy 

It may be hard to get free therapy, but there are some ways to find therapy that won’t cost you a fortune.

Community centers, hospitals, schools, and places of worship sometimes offer free or low-cost counseling. Many community organizations also host peer-support and recovery groups that can provide additional care.

Still thinking about going to therapy without insurance? The good news is that there are a variety of organizations, services, and strategies that can make therapy and mental health treatments more accessible.

Insurance Therapy Coverage

The coverage for the government health care services includes the following:

  • Platinum covers 90% on average of your medical costs; you pay the remaining 10%. 
  • Gold covers 80% on average of the medical costs; you pay the remaining 20%. 
  • Silver covers 70% on average of your medical costs; you pay the remaining 30%.
  • Bronze covers 60% on average of the medical costs you pay the remaining 40%

Catastrophic plans are also available, which is where you pay after you have reached a very high deductible, which is $8,150 in 2020. 

However, make sure you call to get exact figures regarding their therapy coverage. 

Online Therapy as a New Concept

Now known as online therapy, teletherapy is remote therapy sessions conducted by video calls, chat rooms, email, or telephone. Since therapists expanded their offers to keep people safe during the COVID-19 outbreak, it's becoming increasingly popular. 

Due to its importance, the sector has developed dramatically over the last decade: research shows that 70% of people do not have access to traditional, in-office therapy. 

So does insurance cover therapy of this kind? Some of them included it, but some will want you to provide them with the videos from the session as proof that it had happened. 

The demand for this service comes from the fact that one out of every five people will suffer from mental health problems at some point in their lives. So don't be frightened to ask for assistance. A smart place to start is with your family doctor.

In Conclusion

This article set out to answer how much therapy costs without insurance. Here you can find all the information you need to get the help you deserve without breaking your bank.  

Related: How Much Does CT Scan Cost Without Insurance?

Related: How Much Does an MRI Cost Without Insurance?

Related: How Much Is an Ultrasound Without Insurance?


Does your insurance cover your therapist?

You should check your company’s official insurance coverage information to see if your insurance plan covers therapy. You can also call your insurance company with any queries about coverage.

Can I see a therapist virtually?

Many platforms and web pages provide video, audio, live chat, and messages to communicate with your therapist. If your plan is in-network, some companies also work with insurance companies and EAP programs that lower the costs.

What does the average therapy session cost?

According to online analyses of a practice management system for mental health providers, the average cost of therapy in the US ranges between $60 and $250 per session, depending on the state you live in.

Policy Advice is a website devoted to helping everyday people make, save, and grow money. While our team is comprised of personal finance pros with various areas of expertise, nothing can replace professional financial, tax, or legal advice.

Policy Advice is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.Policy Advice is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com

Stay In Touch


About Website

© Copyright 2022 PolicyAdvice.net. All rights reserved.