AARP Auto Insurance Review 2020
- Financial Strength A
- BBB Rating A+
- Coverages 5/5
- Flexibility Policy customization available
- Pricing Competitive pricing
- Discounts 5/5
- Support 24/7 roadside assistance, 24/7 claim services, Email, Phone
- User Ratings Trustpilot 1.9 stars
- Availability All states
About the Company
The AARP (formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons) offers a wide range of insurance products through its insurance partner, the Hartford Group.
The company was established in 1958 with the sole purpose of helping individuals aged 50 years and above with their insurance needs.
AARP offers customized auto insurance policies for seniors, along with outstanding additional features. It received good reviews for both claim processing and customer satisfaction. You can contact their customer support via the AARP auto insurance phone number – 877-805-9918
AARP scored an A on financial stability with S&P and AM Best, which indicates that the company is stable enough to settle claims.
Want to know more about this auto insurance company? Our detailed AARP auto insurance reviews will help you in making the final decision.
How We Reviewed
Here is what we did to review the cost and contents of an AARP auto insurance quote.
In order to make our AARP auto insurance review, we collected quotes for 3 age groups in the states of NY, NJ, CL, TX, MI, for a Honda Accord 2015 and some conditions mentioned here in this table:
|Car type||Honda Accord 2015||Honda Accord 2015||Honda Accord 2015|
|States||NJ, NY, CL, TX, MI||NJ, NY, CL, TX, MI||NJ, NY, CL, TX, MI|
|Condition 1||Full and minimum coverage rate||Maximum and minimum coverage rate||Full and minimum coverage rate|
|Condition 2||Pre and post-accident rate||Pre and post-accident rate||Pre and post-accident rate|
|Condition 3||Excellent and poor credit score rate||Excellent and poor credit score rate||Excellent and poor credit score rate|
Where Is It Available
AARP Auto Insurance covers all U.S. states. You can easily find an agent in areas near you.
Types of Insurance Covered and Missing Coverages
AARP auto insurance offers various types of coverage, including the following:
- Property damage liability
- Bodily injury
- Auto glass
- Comprehensive and collision coverage
- No-fault insurance
- Medical payments
- Uninsured motorist coverage for property damage
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury
Aside from these basic coverage options, AARP also offers the following auto insurance plans:
- Accident Forgiveness – with this coverage, the premium won’t increase after your first at-fault accident in 5 years. This coverage is not applicable in California.
- Disappearing Deductible – for every year with a clean driving record, AARP decreases the deductible on your collision coverage, until you reach zero, or $100 in New York. This coverage is also not applicable to California drivers.
- Waiver of Deductible – this is applicable if you are not responsible for the claimed accident. This coverage is available in selected states.
- One Deductible – if you are filing a claim to recover loss for two vehicles, both covered by AARP policy, you would only have to pay for the higher deductible. This coverage applies to auto and home insurance in an event where damage has been caused to your car and your house.
- Reduction of $100 Collision Deductible – this is applicable if you have selected an AARP-approved repair shop for the damage repair. This coverage is not applicable in all states.
Insurance Offers or Extras
Aside from the coverages mentioned above, the company offers plenty of discounts. AARP auto insurance discounts are as follows:
- AARP Member Discounts – AARP members receive better rates and discounts on auto insurance with affiliated companies. These discounts increase, and the rates get better the longer you have been their member.
- Lifetime Car Repair Guarantee – if you are making a covered claim and getting repairs done at an AARP approved auto shop, all the repairs are covered as long as you lease or own the car.
- New Car Replacement Coverage – in case your new car gets completely totaled within 15,000 miles or 15 months of coverage, then the company offers you a brand new car of the same model and make.
- Post-Accident Support (RecoverCare) – the company will reimburse you for up to $2,500 if you sustain injuries in an accident, to assist with home chores if you are not able to do them after the accident. This includes transportation, food prep, lawn mowing, and dog walking.
- Rate Lock – when you sign up for a 12-month policy, you will get the following year’s guaranteed rate.
- Full Glass Coverage – if your windshield gets damaged, AARP covers repair without any deductible. This is an optional coverage, and it costs an extra premium.
- Classic Car Coverage – AARP works with you to settle the value for your classic car. The company offers full coverage for classic cars, including underinsured/uninsured motorists, medical payment, physical damage to the classic car, property damage liability, and bodily injury liability. Optional coverage can also be purchased, including spare parts and full glass coverage.
AARP offers other excellent discounts for customers, including:
- Discount for vehicles with alternative fuel-types
- Driver training
- Good student discount
- Two or more airbags
- Anti-theft devices
- Paid-in-full discount is also available
- Bundling policies
- Successful completion of the defensive driver course
Customer Satisfaction and Reviews
The AARP auto insurance rating for overall customer satisfaction is about average.
The company received more than the expected number of complaints to the state regulators. It still boasts a good rating with BBB for overall customer experience.
AARP insurance received average ratings for claim satisfaction, which is better than most of its competitors.
The financial stability of the company has an A with both S&P and AM Best. It has an excellent rating at BBB.
There are many easy ways for existing and potential policyholders to get in touch with the company.
AARP has a number for roadside assistance, a 24/7 helpline, and a separate 24/7 claims service line. The company also offers a different number for the ease of their hearing-impaired clients.
There is no option for live chat, but there is a customer complaint form available online.
Aside from that, you can get in touch with the agent near you to resolve your concern.
You can also file claims, track the progress, and manage, set up, and keep track of your policies online.
Ease of Use and Policy Customization
The website is easy to use and includes all the relevant information for both existing and potential policyholders. It also has an FAQ section and auto insurance definitions to help explain car insurance easily.
The company offers a mobile app through which you can manage your policies, pay bills, view insurance ID cards, submit and track claims, and request roadside assistance. You can find an agent or a repair shop near you using the app.
AARP vehicle insurance offers towing service if your car breaks down, and if your car has to stay in the shop for longer, the company also reimburse you for rental cars. The limit for each day depends on the coverage you have.
AARP Car Insurance Pricing Review
The average national representative rate of AARP car insurance is $1,332, making it among the most expensive auto insurances available. Of course, the total amount depends on various factors, including your age, driving record, and more.
The average AARP car insurance cost for:
- A 25-year-old driver is $1,332
- A 35-year-old driver is $1,233
- A 45-year-old driver is $1,100
The average insurance rate for drivers as per the credit score is as follows:
- For the drivers with good credit, the rate is $1,274
- For drivers with fair credit, the rate of $1,380
- For drivers with poor credit score, the rate is $2,154
Comparison With Competitors
Here is a comparison between AARP auto insurance and a few of its competitors:
AARP Auto Insurance vs Progressive
Both companies are well-established and are rated among the top auto insurance companies in the country. While both offer great discounts and perks for their customers, AARP’s discounts are limited to AARP members.
Progressive offers Telematics, Military, and HomeOwner discounts that are not provided by AARP.
On the other hand, AARP offers Air Bags, Anti-Lock Brake System, Good driver, Driver training, and Affinity Membership Alum discounts that are not available with Progressive.
AARP has good financial strength ratings, and it received a higher rating for customer satisfaction.
The roadside assistance offered by Progressive is more comprehensive than AARP’s.
AARP Auto Insurance vs Allstate
Both companies’ discounts are excellent, but Allstate offers more unique discounts and perks than AARP insurance.
Allstate offers Pay in Full, Advanced Payment, Student Away at School, Telematics, and New Vehicle discounts not offered by AARP.
On the other hand, AARP offers Multiple Vehicles discount and Affinity Membership Alum.
AARP has a stronger financial strength as compared to Allstate, and also scored higher in customer satisfaction.
However, for customer interaction and satisfaction, Allstate scored higher.
AARP Auto Insurance vs GEICO
GEICO is well-known for its affordable rates and outstanding discounts. It certainly offers better rates than AARP auto insurance.
GEICO is a better option than AARP if you have a bad credit score. The company offers better rates for drivers with an exceptional credit score.
For drivers with a DUI, reckless driving violation, ticket, or an at-fault accident in their driving record, GEICO is a good option.
GEICO has a superior financial stability ranking as compared to AARP insurance.
You can file a claim through the phone, online, or using the mobile app.
AARP auto insurance has a 24/7 phone number to file insurance claims, but you can file a simple claim online as well. To file the claim, you will have to add in your policy number, you name, and briefly describe the car accident.
It is wise to include what exactly happened when it happened, what are the injuries or damage, were there any witnesses, and insurance details of the drivers involved, if possible.
The company starts investigating the claim and will get in touch with you to explain the process. You can always keep track of your claim status online.
Pros & Cons
- Bundling option and discount
- 24/7 car insurance claims service
- Lifetime renewability
- More than average customer complaints
- Higher rates for risky and young drivers
- Discounts available for AARP members
Is AARP a good car insurance company? Our detailed AARP auto insurance reviews can help you make an informed decision.
AARP is an ideal auto insurance company for AARP members and elderly drivers. The company offers outstanding policy features, discounts, and savings for AARP members, to meet their lifestyles and needs.
The drawback is that the insurance is limited to ages 50+. This auto insurance is also not for you if you are looking for affordable rates, not being an AARP member.