Allstate Home Insurance Review 2020
- Financial Strength AA-
- BBB Rating A+
- Coverages 4/5
- Flexibility Policy customization available
- Discounts 4/5
- Support Phone ,Online
- User Ratings ConsumerAffairs 4
- Availability All 50 states
- Pricing Expensive
Do you think Allstate home insurance is right for you? You can find out more about the company by reading our Allstate home insurance reviews below.
About the Company
Allstate is an insurance provider operating in the United States. The insurance company sells a wide range of insurance policies.
In 2018 alone, Allstate earned around $40 billion in profit. The insurance company has more than 40,000 employees with over 15 million customers. They offer 113 insurance coverage options in all 50 states.
Allstate owns numerous other insurance companies. Its subsidiaries are Encompass Insurance Company, Esurance, and SquareTrade.
The home insurance provider offers users several different types of insurance products, including retirement and financial planning services.
Allstate runs operations through independent local insurance agents. Apart from homeowners insurance, it offers insurance for renters, condo owners, landlords, mobile homes, and manufactured homes.
You will also come across a large variety of discounts, custom coverage options, and homeowners insurance options.
How We Reviewed
Our Allstate rating is based on several different factors. We started by thoroughly examining the company’s website. We wanted to ensure the information available on the website was sufficient and helpful to users.
It was important to analyze all the coverage options, including the offered discounts and the impact they had on the price.
We reviewed the home insurance company’s financial strength rating from prominent rating sites.
Finally, we studied reviews and ratings from previous and current customers, looking at the number of positive and negative comments.
Where Is It Available?
Allstate home insurance is available in all U.S. states, including Washington D.C.
Home Insurance Coverage Options
Allstate home insurance provides users with several insurance coverage options.
Some coverage plans offered by Allstate include:
- Water backup coverage – The insurance covers the repairs and replacement costs of a broken or damaged sump pump or when the drain backs up and results in water damage.
- Scheduled personal property coverage – The insurance covers the costs of stolen or damaged valuable items. Homeowners will need to obtain an appraisal of the valuable items they want to cover.
- Green improvement coverage – The insurance covers the extra costs of replacing your existing equipment with energy-efficient equipment after you have submitted a claim.
- Identity theft insurance – The insurance coverage pays for lost wages, legal fees, and any other related costs in the event someone steals your identity.
- Electronic data recovery coverage –This Allstate insurance option covers the costs of stolen or lost computer data such as videos and photos.
- Business property coverage – The insurance coverage pays for expenses related to your business such as your inventory.
- Yard and garden insurance coverage – The insurance company pays for items such as landscaping, trees, and lawnmower.
- Personal umbrella policy coverage – Although the standard home insurance policy includes liability insurance against lawsuits filed by a person who received an injury on your property, the policy has certain limits and if you reach them, you will have to pay out of your own pocket. The umbrella policy increases your limits and adds additional coverage to pay for legal fees and lost wages.
- Earthquake insurance coverage – You will need to purchase this insurance coverage separately, as it is not part of the standard home insurance coverage. It covers the repair or replacement cost of the property and its assets after an earthquake.
- Flood insurance coverage – This home insurance covers water damage due to a flood caused by oceans, rivers, or other bodies of water. You may need this coverage if you live near the coastline or in an area prone to floods.
You can choose from 3 types of coverage options: Basic, Standard, and Enhanced.
Basic Home Insurance Coverage
- Additional living expenses insurance
- Dwelling insurance
- Guest medical protection
- Other structures insurance
- Personal liability insurance
- Personal property insurance
Standard Home Insurance Coverage
- All insurance coverage options included in Basic Home Insurance Coverage
- $300,000 in liability insurance coverage
- Identity theft insurance coverage
- Additional insurance coverage limits for other buildings, personal property, and extra living expense insurance coverage
- Lower per occurrence deductible
Enhanced Insurance Coverage
- All insurance coverage options included in Standard Home Insurance Coverage
- $500,000 in liability insurance coverage
- Additional insurance coverage limits for other buildings, personal property, and extra living expense insurance coverage
- Green improvement insurance coverage
Allstate Home Insurance Pricing
The price of your home insurance coverage with Allstate will depend on how old your home is, your ZIP code, type of build, and the amount of coverage bought.
The Allstate payment you can expect to pay each year is around $1,450.
The chart below explains the average cost of home insurance at various coverage levels:
|Coverage Amount||Average Annual Premium|
|$100,000 to $250,000||$930|
|$250,000 to $500,000||$1,469|
|$500,000 to $750,000||$1,495|
Allstate Home Insurance Discounts
Allstate home insurance offers the following Allstate discounts:
- Multi-policy discount saves customers up to 25% when they combine their home insurance coverage with auto insurance coverage through Allstate.
- Claim-free discount qualifies customers for a discount if they switch to Allstate and if they have not made any recent claims on home insurance.
- Welcome and loyalty discount saves customers money the longer they stay with the insurance provider.
- Allstate Easy Pay plan discount is given when customers automate their insurance payments.
- Protective device discount saves customers money if they install sprinklers, burglar alarms, and/or fire alarms in their home. Customers will save even more money if their alarm system automatically notifies the fire or police department.
- Homebuyer discount is for customers that recently bought or built their home.
- Retirement discount saves customers money if they are older than 55 and are retired.
- A smoke-free discount is offered when customers and other occupants of the house do not smoke.
- Storm shutter discount is for customers that have installed storm shutters in their home.
- Roof discount is useful if the customer installed a hail-resistant roof.
Customer Satisfaction and Financial Strength Review
Allstate scored a 3 out of 5 on J.D. Power, a platform that rates insurance companies based on their policy offerings, coverage information, clarity of billing, ease of filing claims, and interaction with customers.
On BBB, Allstate scored an A+. BBB rates home insurance companies based on compound criteria. They consider tangential metrics to measure customer experience. Therefore, by their excellent rating, it’s safe to assume that the home insurance provider has managed to do well with customers.
ConsumerAffairs gave Allstate a 4 out of 5, which is also good.
Lastly, Allstate has a rating of A+ from AM Best, whereas with S&P it is AA-.
Overall, the Allstate customer satisfaction rating is above average, except on Trustpilot, which lets users rate companies.
Allstate customer service is available 24/7. To get a quote from Allstate or receive answers to any other queries you can contact your home insurance agent online through the website, or call on the Allstate customer service number: 1-800-676-5456.
Allstate offers various payment methods, which include quick card pay, mobile e-payment, direct deposit, and check.
Ease of Buying and Claims Handling
If you bought your home insurance coverage from an Allstate agent, you need to contact them directly to file a claim. The agent will guide you through the steps and answer any questions you have regarding the process.
Those who bought their home insurance coverage from an independent broker can file a claim through the website by logging into your account. You can also call at Allstate claims phone number 1-877-810-2920 for everything related to Allstate claims.
When you file a claim, the claim adjustable will identity the value of your loss and provide you with an estimate of the damage. They will also tell you about the payout offer.
You can track the status of your claim from your account. The home insurance provider offers customers access to services through their website, mobile phone app, and digital locker app.
The website is easy to use and provides a ton of tools and resources. You can obtain a quote, locate a car mechanic, or learn more about the different product offerings. You can also download their free app to pay your bills, manage your policies, check your claim status, and call for roadside assistance if you have taken out auto insurance.
You can download their free digital locker app to create an inventory of every item you have in your house, which will be helpful if you need to file a claim.
Comparison With Competitors
To give you a better idea of the home insurance company you should choose, we compared Allstate with some of the major home insurance providers:
Allstate vs Farmers
Farmers home insurance offers claim forgiveness, discounts for certain professions, and decreased deductibles over time. Allstate is also more affordable than Farmers. They both have relatively the same ratings, but S&P ranks Allstate higher than Farmers.
The companies offer the same type of insurance coverage options. Allstate gives more discounts than Farmers. Since Allstate is larger, it can cater to more people.
Allstate vs GEICO
GEICO offers cheaper rates than Allstate because they do not offer in-person interaction with home insurance agents. Allstate offers far better coverage options and discounts than GEICO.
Allstate vs Progressive
The price comparison between the two home insurance providers revealed that State Farm is more affordable than Progressive.
State Farm also scores more in customer satisfaction than Progressive. Progressive offers a wide array of coverage options that State Farm does not.
Allstate vs State Farm
After Allstate, State Farm home insurance is the only other home insurance company in the United States that obtained a large share in the market. Both home insurance providers have branches all across the United States. State Farm is larger than Allstatein size, as they have more than 65,000 employees and over 18,000 independent home insurance agents.
State Farm has outscored Allstate by three points on the J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Research. Both offer discounts for people with more than one policy, impact-resistant roofing, home alert protection, and others.
Allstate vs Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual home insurance has more than 50,000 employees, and in terms of size, both are about the same.
Both have received an A+ rating from the BBB. Allstate scored higher in customer satisfaction than Liberty Mutual. However, Liberty Mutual offers better discounts and incentives.
Pros & Cons
- A mobile app is available for payments, claims, and more
- Allstate offers a wide range of coverage and options
- Discounts include lower rates for seniors and first-time homebuyers
- Coverage is unavailable in some coastal cities
- Allstate rates were among the most expensive in our analysis
- Twice the average customer complaints, but less than its competitors
Over the years, Allstate built itself a good reputation. The home insurance provider has been offering home insurance and other coverage options to customers in the United States for decades. The company provides customers with an easy process for purchasing policies, filing, and managing claims.
Allstate offers an incredible number of discounts and three levels of homeowners insurance coverage. Allstate has a high customer satisfaction rating. The financial strength of the company is also given a good rating.
They offer their customers a wide variety of tools to manage their coverage options and file a claim. Customers can file a claim through their website by logging into their account, calling them, or via the free mobile app.
Does Allstate’s homeowners insurance cover tree damage?
In the event a healthy tree falls on your house due to wind, Allstate may cover the damage. They may not cover the damage if the tree fell on your house due to a hurricane. If an unhealthy tree falls on your home due to wind, Allstate will consider it as a lack of maintenance and not reimburse you for the damage. In most cases, a tree healthy or not, will not be covered in your home insurance plan.
Is GEICO owned by Allstate?
No, GEICO is not owned by Allstate. The company is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.
What is Allstate Host Advantage?
HostAdvantage coverage is for homeowners who rent out their property through Airbnb. If you temporarily rent out a space in your home or your entire home, you can get the insurance company’s home-sharing coverage.
The coverage pays for damage caused to your property by the tenant. It covers up to $10,000 per rental host duration. This coverage is not available in every state.
How much does Allstate home insurance cost?
Allstate home insurance cost comes to $169 each month for a two-bedroom townhouse valued at $250,000. Allstate home insurance reviews show that your cost will vary, as it depends on several factors such as age, location, and size of the property.