Ameriprise Auto Insurance Review 2021
- Financial Strength A
- BBB Rating A
- Coverages 4/5
- Flexibility Policy customization possible
- Discounts 5/5
- Support Roadside assistance, phone, fax, online
- User Ratings Consumer Affairs 1.3 stars
- Availability Available in 34 states and Washington, D.C.
- Pricing Affordable
About the Company
Ameriprise Insurance collaborates with Costco Wholesale to provide its members with auto insurance coverage, including home coverage, renters, and specialty insurance, which people can bundle together under their umbrella policy.
The company provides insurance to non-Costco members but offers increased loyalty discount to members of the wholesale store.
Ameriprise offers lifetime renewability, which comes in handy when you have to renew your policy in the event of an auto accident.
Ameriprise is an excellent choice for all licensed drivers, especially Costco members due to the numerous benefits they receive.
Our Ameriprise auto insurance reviews can help you make up your mind on whether this insurance provider suits your requirements and budget.
How We Reviewed
To review Ameriprise financial standing and services we began by collecting quotes for 3 age groups from 5 states for a Honda Accord 2015 and some conditions mentioned here in this table:
|Car type||Honda accord 2015||Honda accord 2015||Honda accord 2015|
|States||NJ, NY, CL, TX, MI||NJ, NY, CL, TX, MI||NJ, NY, CL, TX, MI|
|Condition 1||Full and minimum coverage rate||Full and minimum coverage rate||Full and minimum coverage rate|
|Condition 2||Pre and post-accident rate||Pre and post-accident rate||Pre and post-accident rate|
|Condition 3||Excellent and poor credit score rate||Excellent and poor credit score rate||Excellent and poor credit score rate|
Ameriprise Insurance Company is currently licensed in 34 states and Washington D.C.
- The states served include the following:
|District of Columbia||Oklahoma|
Ameriprise Family Connect Property and Casualty Insurance Company is available in other states as well.
Types of Insurance Covered and Missing Coverage
Ameriprise auto insurance offers the following insurance coverage:
Bodily Injury Liability
Bodily injury liability covers the costs of medical expenses of the other person involved in the auto accident caused by you. The coverage covers legal expenses as well.
Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by an auto accident or your car encounters a pothole or another object regardless of who is at fault. The auto insurance provider will pay you your car’s current cash value if it is a complete loss.
Comprehensive coverage pays for vehicle damage caused by natural disasters, inclement weather, vandalism, and unexpected incidents such as a falling object.
If your car is totaled, the auto insurance provider will pay the ban or lease balance. You will receive up to 120% of your car’s value. Included in Ameriprise gap insurance coverage is a new car replacement for only the first year and extra protection for the following two years.
Medical Expenses Coverage
Medical expenses coverage pays for your medical expenses and includes anyone in the car with you during the accident. It is an optional coverage, and if you have health insurance, it may already be a part of it.
Personal Injury Protection
Personal injury protection or PIP insurance pays for a part of your medical expenses, replacement services, and lost income regardless of who was at fault for the auto accident.
Property Damage Liability
Property damage liability covers the expenses of property damage that results from an auto accident caused by you.
Rental Car Liability
Rental car liability coverage covers the costs of renting a car after being involved in an auto accident. The coverage goes to effect if your daily charges for renting a car exceed a certain limit established by them.
Roadside Assistance and Towing
Ameriprise Roadside assistance and towing coverage is classic on most car insurance policies. The coverage will come in handy if your car runs out of battery, your car breaks down, you find yourself stuck in the snow, or get a flat tire.
Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Coverage
This insurance option makes sure that you do not have to pay the bills for an auto accident that was the fault of another driver with inadequate coverage or no coverage.
Insurance Offers or Extras
Ameriprise car insurance offers the following auto insurance discounts:
- Accident travel expense coverage pays you if you are involved in an auto accident that is more than 100 miles away from where you live, and your car needs to go to an auto shop for repairs. They will cover your transportation needs until you get your car back.
- Defensive driver is an option for drivers who have completed a driving course approved by the DMV. Give your insurance agent a copy of it as proof.
- Education discounts save you money on auto insurance if you or a family member has completed four years of education post-high school.
- Garaging discount is for drivers who have to keep their car in a garage overnight.
- A good driver discount is for drivers who practice safe driving. The auto insurance provider will lower your premium.
However, this option is not available in all states. Only residents of California are eligible for this discount.
- Good student discount saves money for drivers who are full-time students who also get good grades.
- Multi-car discount saves you money if you insure more than one car with the auto insurance provider.
- Multi-policy discounts save you money if you get more than one insurance product from them such as getting auto insurance and home insurance from them.
- New car replacement discount is for drivers with a vehicle that’s less than one year old with fewer than 15,000 miles on it. The auto insurance provider pays to replace your car with the same make and model if your car gets damaged in an auto accident. The auto insurance provider will pay up to 110% of the MSRP.
- Premier safety discount is for drivers who do not have a history of claims, traffic violations, or accidents on their driving record for the last four years.
- Roadside assistance will come to your aid in the event your car breaks down and if your car needs to be in the shop for repairs, their rental car coverage will pay for the costs of renting a car.
- Stolen key coverage is part of the comprehensive coverage, which replaces keys in the event they are lost if someone steals your car. You will not have to pay a deductible if the total cost of replacing the keys and changing the locks is under $250.
- Student away at school saves you money if you or your child’s school is at least 100 miles away from where you live.
- Tenure discount lowers your insurance rate if you have been with Ameriprise for several years.
- Vehicle safety discount saves you money if your car is equipped with safety features such as airbags, automatic seatbelts, and anti-lock brakes.
- Windshield repair with no deductible replaces your windshield if a rock has caused the damage to it.
Ameriprise Customer Satisfaction
The company has not been rated on Trustpilot, but the ratings given by some other platforms are good.
Ameriprise has an A rating on BBB.
Am Best gave Ameriprise insurance an A rating.
This table gives you a brief overview of how Ameriprise is rated by various platforms:
|Consumer Affairs||1.3 stars|
Ameriprise customer service has received complaints from users about their slow service and response time. Other users have issues filing small claims and billing issues.
They do not offer around the clock customer service. You can reach them via email, phone, or fax. Ameriprise customer service hours are:
- Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Ease of Use and Policy Customization
You can customize your auto insurance policy by bundling more than coverage together. Customizing your auto insurance coverage will give you discounts.
You will get a bigger discount if you bundle several policies together. You can bundle with auto coverage and home coverage options for instance.
Ameriprise features a user-friendly website with information on the various coverage options they offer their customers. You can file for a claim from the website or contact them at any hour and on any day of the week.
Existing customers can create an account on the website to access their policy and make changes to their policy, including personal details such as credit card information.
Ameriprise Pricing Review
The auto insurance provider is relatively affordable with $1,135 as the average national rate. Their website states that the auto insurance coverage will save drivers up to $595.99 if they switch from their current auto insurance provider to them.
You will need to get an Ameriprise auto insurance quote from either their website or by contacting them on the Ameriprise customer service number to learn how much their auto insurance coverage will cost you.
The insurance agents will personalize the auto insurance coverage basing it on certain factors such as age, credit history, car, address, and driving record.
Comparison With Competitors
Here is a comparison between Ameriprise and other insurance companies on the market.
Ameriprise vs Allstate
Ameriprise auto insurance is more budget-friendly than Allstate for all demographics regardless of age. Ameriprise’s customer service also ranks better than Allstate.
Allstate offers better optional coverage options and numerous useful features.
Unlike Ameriprise, Allstate provides a claims satisfaction guarantee.
Go with Ameriprise if you are searching for everyday auto insurance coverage and go with Allstate if you are willing to pay extra to add additional options to your coverage.
Ameriprise vs GEICO
Is Ameriprise cheaper than GEICO? Compared to Ameriprise, GEICO is more affordable. It also has a better financial strength rating.
Ameriprise scores better than GEICO in customer service, though.
Ameriprise vs Farmers Insurance
On policy offering, Ameriprise won, which means they offer more varied types of coverage options than Farmers.
Ameriprise has better insurance rates than Farmers, but you should get quotes on both as it can vary depending on the factors involved.
Farmers also offer fewer billing and payment options while Ameriprise has more.
In terms of the ease of contacting customer service, the companies are comparable.
Ameriprise Claims Handling
You can contact the company via post, email, fax, or phone. Ameriprise claims number is available 24/7.
Pros & Cons
- Good for people who want to bundle multiple policies
- Affordable rates and numerous discounts
- Flexible payment options
- Higher rates for high-risk drivers
- Poor customer service
- Not beneficial for people with a driving history
Ameriprise offers a wide variety of discounts. You receive even more benefits from this company if you are a Costco member.
You may or may not find their rates affordable depending on your particular situation. Ameriprise auto insurance reviews can help you make a good decision.