Erie Auto Insurance Review 2021
- Financial Strength A+
- BBB Rating A+
- User Ratings ConsumerAffairs 3.2 stars
- Pricing $1,108
- Support Email, Phone
- Availability Available in 12 states.
- Discounts 5/5
- Coverages 4/5
- Flexibility Policy customization possible
About the Company
Erie Insurance is among the best-rated insurance providers in the country. The company offers outstanding insurance rates.
Erie is known for its fast claims handling and high customer satisfaction.
The company sells insurance through its independent agents, which means the customers mainly communicate with the company through their agents for everything, including managing policies, making claims, and buying insurance.
Erie Insurance offers plenty of discounts and perks but is only available in 12 states.
It has scored A and A+ on financial stability by S&P and AM Best rating respectfully, which indicates that the company is stable enough to settle claims.
Want to know more about this auto insurance company? Our detailed Erie car insurance reviews will help you make the final decision.
How We Reviewed
Here is what we did to review the cost and contents of Erie auto insurance quotes.
We collected quotes for 3 age groups in the states of IL, PA, OH, WV for a Honda Accord 2015 and some conditions mentioned here in this table:
|Car type||Honda Accord 2015||Honda Accord 2015||Honda Accord 2015|
|States||IL, PA, OH, WV||IL, PA, OH, WV||IL, PA, OH, WV|
|Condition 1||Full and minimum coverage rate||Full and minimum coverage rate||Full and minimum coverage rate|
|Condition 2||Pre and post-accident rate||Pre and post-accident rate||Pre and post-accident rate|
|Condition 3||Excellent and poor credit score rate||Excellent and poor credit score rate||Excellent and poor credit score rate|
Where Is It Available
Erie Insurance covers 12 U.S. states – Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin.
You can easily find an agent in areas near you.
Types of Insurance Covered and Missing Coverages
Erie Insurance offers basic coverage types, including the following:
- Liability Coverage
- Personal injury protection
- Underinsured motorist
- Uninsured motorist
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
Erie also offers various additional coverages:
- Rate Lock – This coverage locks the rates of your insurance policy until you remove or add drivers or vehicles.
- New Car Protection – If your car gets totaled in an accident and is up to 2 years old, then the company will replace your damaged car with a new car of the current model year. This policy is not available in all states.
- Better Car Protection – If your car gets totaled in an accident and is up to 2 years old, then Erie will pay for another car model that is two years newer and the same make, or would cover the car loan if there is one. This policy is not available in all states.
- Generous Rental Car Coverage and Options – The majority of car insurers provide rental coverage at an additional cost for the convenience of the customer while the car is in the repair shop after an accident. Erie offers free basic coverage with comprehensive coverage. You would have to pay for upgraded rentals, like an SUV or a luxury car.
- Rideshare Coverage – Erie offers coverage for Lyft or Uber drivers. Your policy would cover you after you accept the ride and when you are carrying passengers. It will not be applicable when you are waiting for rides. This rideshare coverage protects you during that gap.
Insurance Offers or Extras
Aside from the coverages mentioned above, Erie gives plenty of offers and discounts that might not be available in all states.
Some extras offered by the company include:
- Accident Forgiveness – This coverage prevents the rates from increasing after your first at-fault accident. This coverage is applicable when you were a customer with the company for 3 years.
- Travel Expenses Coverage – This policy covers up to $75 per each passenger for lodging and food if the damaged car has left you stranded away from home.
- Pet Injury Coverage – This policy covers up to $500 for your pet’s veterinary care if injured during an accident in your vehicle.
If you are purchasing the comprehensive coverage, Erie offers some additional perks with it:
- Personal Item Coverage – This policy is offering about $300 for luggage, clothing, and other belongings that have been damaged in the insured car. Auto insurance policies generally don’t cover personal items, which makes this coverage a great opportunity. This policy is also available when you purchase collision insurance.
- Locksmith Service – This coverage pays up to $75 if your keys get locked in your car.
- Erie Glass Repair Insurance – This policy will repair damaged auto glass without any deductible. This option includes windshield insurance.
The company offers excellent discounts for customers, depending on the state of residence. Erie auto insurance discounts are as follows:
- Annual payment plan
- Young drivers
- Reduced usage
- Car safety equipment, including anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices, and airbags
- Safe driving
- Vehicle storage for a minimum of 90 days
- Upfront full payment
Customer Satisfaction and Reviews
The Erie auto insurance rating for overall customer satisfaction is higher than average.
The company received fewer than the expected number of complaints to the state regulators. This indicates that customer satisfaction is higher in comparison with other auto insurance providers. Erie is known for its high ratings for claim satisfaction.
The financial stability of the company has an A rating from S&P and AM Best rated it A+.
It has an excellent rating at BBB.
received average ratings with Trustpilot and ConsumerAffairs, but these ratings are still higher when compared with the ratings received by many other auto insurance companies.
There are a few ways for existing and potential policyholders to get in touch with the company.
You can get in touch with Erie through their toll-free phone line or email them. There is no live chat option available.
Ease of Use and Policy Customization
Erie’s website is simple, user-friendly, and includes all the necessary information about the products. You can get a quote, make payments, find an agent near you, manage your policy, and locate the nearest repair shop.
Erie doesn’t offer a mobile app for roadside assistance, nor does it have the option to file a claim online.
The average national representative of Erie car insurance costs is $1,108, which makes it among the most expensive auto insurance available. Of course, the total amount depends on various factors, including your age, and driving record.
The average car insurance rate for:
- A 25-year-old driver is $1,108
- A 35-year-old driver is $1,108
- A 45-year-old driver is $755
The average insurance rate for drivers as per the credit score is as follows:
- For the drivers with good credit, the rate is $894
- For drivers with fair credit, the rate of $1,040
- For drivers with poor credit score, the rate is $2,402
Car Insurance Comparison
Erie auto insurance reviews 2020 reveal that Erie Insurance has a good standing on the market. Here is a comparison between Erie Insurance and a few of its major competitors:
GEICO and Erie Insurance are some of the most affordable car insurance providers in the U.S.
While GEICO serves all the states, Erie is only available in 12.
Erie offers Pay in Full, Driver Training, and Student Away at School discounts that are not provided by GEICO.
On the other hand, GEICO offers Good Student, Military, and Affinity Membership Alum discounts. If you have poor credit, then GEICO is a better option for you.
If you have a good and exceptional credit score, Erie offers very competitive rates.
If your driving record includes a DUI, reckless driving violation, ticket, or an at-fault accident, Erie is a good option for you.
Our auto insurance review shows, when it comes to rates, Erie is more affordable than State Farm. But the limitation is that it is not available in all states.
The discounts offered by both companies are outstanding.
State Farm offers Good Student, Affinity Membership Alum, Telematics, and Military discounts that are not offered by Erie.
On the other hand, Erie offers Anti-Lock Brake System, and Pay in Full discounts.
If you have a bad credit score, then Erie is a better option for you. Erie also offers a better rate for drivers with an exceptional credit score.
The two companies offer affordable rates, but Erie insurance is cheaper in comparison.
Both Progressive and Erie offer roadside assistance, but the latter provides more extensive features.
Erie is a better option than Progressive if you have a bad credit score. The company also offers better rates for drivers with an exceptional credit score.
For drivers with a DUI, reckless driving violation, ticket, or an at-fault accident in their driving record, Erie is a good option.
Erie offers Anti-Lock Brake System, Good Driver, Air Bags, Driver Training, Student Away at School, and Pay in Full discounts that are not offered by Progressive.
In contrast, Progressive offers Good Student, Home Owner, Telematics, and Military discounts.
The claim satisfaction rating for Erie is higher than that of its competitors. The customers have been satisfied with their fast claim resolution and attentive customer service.
The claim filing process is also simple with Erie. You can submit a claim through the company’s claims phone number or an agent.
They don’t give an option to file a claim online unless it is for Erie glass insurance. You can still check the status of the claim through your online account, though.
Pros & Cons
- Fewer customer satisfaction complaints
- Online bill payment
- Bundling options
- Not available in all states
- A mobile app isn’t available
- Doesn’t accept online claims
Erie car insurance reviews show that the company has strong financial stability and high customer satisfaction, especially for claims handling.
It is an excellent choice for individuals looking for customized and extensive policies, bundling options for renters insurance, home, and auto insurance coverage.
The drawbacks are that the insurance is only available in 12 states, and somewhat lacks digital experience. It also doesn’t have a mobile app.