Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review 2021
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance and Foundation was started in 2009 as a non-profit pet insurance company. The founders Steve Siadek and Rob Jackson were volunteers at an animal shelter and decided to offer pet owners access to affordable veterinary care in the face of unexpected accidents. Healthy Paws offer insurance through numerous insurance companies.
It is also on our list of top pet insurance providers.
According to Healthy Paws Pet Insurance reviews, the company has stuck to its core values for over 10 years. They don’t just sell pet insurance policies but also make donations to the Every Quote Gives Hope program on each online quote delivered to a customer. Till now, the company has donated over $1 million to over 300 organizations.
When it comes to innovation, the company also made the first mobile pet insurance app.
Although all of these are great USPs, we also need to know where the company stands when it comes to its Healthy Paws insurance coverage, costs, competitors, and customer satisfaction. That’s why we’ve made this review.
How We Reviewed
We analyzed the factors that are most important to pet parents. These include:
- Coverages and exclusions
- Pricing plans
- Healthy Paws Pet Insurance rating and reviews
- Customer support
- Customer satisfaction
- Financial stability
- How it stands against competitors
- Its benefits and limitations
Where Is It Available?
Healthy Paws sells its insurance plans for cats and dogs in all 50 states of the United States. Healthy Paws Pet Insurance headquarters are based in Bellevue, WA.
The Healthy Paws Pet Insurance address is 1229 120th Ave Ne Ste C Bellevue, WA 98005 United States.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Types of Coverages
The Healthy Paws Insurance program requires a complete head to toe examination of your cat and dog to determine if they qualify for coverage. If your pet is 0 to 5 years old, the exam results should be from the last 365 days. If your pet is 6 years or older, the exam results should be from the last 30 days. If an examination has not taken place, you will need to have one done within 15 days of applying for the policy. The exam is conducted by a licensed veterinarian.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance policies allow you to enroll your kitten or puppy as young as 8 weeks old. If you enroll them before they are six years old, you can get coverage for hip dysplasia at no extra cost. You can enroll your cat until the age of 14.
A standard Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for dogs and cats will cover:
- Illnesses: The plan covers both major and minor pet illnesses, including common dog issues like skin conditions, ear infections, allergies, eye problems, stomach issues, heatstroke, or dehydration. Healthy Paws pet insurance for cats includes cancer, abnormal growths, urinary tract infections, and stomach issues.
- Accident: Incidents of animal bites, poisoning, or foreign body obstruction are all covered in pet accident insurance.
- Hereditary and congenital conditions: Healthy Paws cover all pet hereditary conditions passed down to your cat or dog from their ancestors, including cherry eye, elbow dysplasia, intervertebral disc disease, liver disease, heart disease, and nervous system disease.
- Chronic conditions: Pet chronic conditions that are covered include arthritis, diabetes, glaucoma, asthma, and kidney disease.
- Cancer: Cancer coverage is unlimited and includes pet cancer diagnostics, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, ultrasounds, and hospitalization.
- Diagnostics: Healthy Paws also cover procedures like pet bloodwork, x-rays, and ultrasounds conducted by vets.
- Surgery, emergency veterinary care, and hospitalization: Many customers have claimed that Healthy Paws have saved them thousands of dollars when it comes to pet emergency, surgery, and hospitalization.
- Prescription medication: Healthy Paws will provide your pet prescription drug coverage for illnesses and accidental injuries.
- Specialty care: If your pet needs advanced treatment or specialty care, Healthy Paws will help cover costs for visits to orthopedic specialists, ophthalmologists, and internal medicine experts without referrals.
- Alternative/ holistic care: Pet physical therapy and alternative care are also available to treat cruciate ligament injuries and spinal issues as well as provide pet rehabilitation post-surgery. These also include acupuncture, hydrotherapy, and chiropractic.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Hip Dysplasia Coverage
Healthy Paws will provide coverage for hip dysplasia if you enroll your dog before it turns 6. The insurance company will not provide coverage for hip dysplasia after that age.
Pet owners in states excluding New Hampshire and Maryland will need to wait 12 months for hip dysplasia coverage from the day they sign up.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Coverage Limit
Healthy Paws is among the very few pet insurance companies that do not put a cap on the dollar amount of covered services that can be reimbursed. This means that if your cat or dog suffers from a major illness, Healthy Paws will payout 70% to 90% of the cost (depending on the age of your pet) no matter how expensive the treatment is. Something deeply appreciated by clients, as seen in Healthy Paws Pet Insurance reviews.
Healthy Paws offer lifetime pet insurance policies, so as long as you continue to pay the premium, the coverage will remain accessible.
What is Not Covered?
There are a few services that Healthy Paws does not offer even with add-ons. These include:
- Vet exam fees, even if they are related to illness or injury
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Behavioral treatment
- Illness or injury that happens during the 15-day enrollment waiting period
- Illness or injury due to intentional, preventable, or neglectful actions
- Hip dysplasia symptoms that occur within one year of applying to the policy
- Preventive care including pet neutering or spaying, vaccinations, heartworm prevention, flea prevention, anal gland expression
- Routine pet dental insurance
- Cosmetic or elective procedures including pet grooming, hair trimming, nail clipping, tail docking, ear cropping, microchipping, and ear cleaning.
- Special diets, food, and supplements
- Experimental medication or treatment
- Breeding, whelping, or queening
- Cremation and burial expenses
Additionally, Healthy Paws will only cover you if you reside in the United States and for a very short time in Canada.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
Like all pet insurance companies, Healthy Paws does not have a fixed price. Instead, the insurance coverage is based on the age, gender, breed, history of the disease, and geographical locations of the pet among other factors.
However, we can provide a loose monthly average estimate of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance quote:
For a Dog
- A 1-year-old dog can cost anywhere between $20.33 and $43.08
- A 3-year-old dog can cost anywhere between $23.74 and $50.37
- A 6-year-old dog can cost $34.11+
- A 12-year-old dog can cost $155.74
For a Cat
- A 1-year-old cat can cost anywhere between $08.01 and $17.04
- A 3-year-old cat can cost anywhere between $09.36 and $19.93
- A 6-year-old cat can cost $13.74+
- A 12-year-old cat can cost $61.31
Lowering the coverage percentages or raising your deductibles can both lower the monthly premium. You also need to give a $25 starting fee.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Deductible
Healthy Paws offer an annual deductible, which involves paying a premium per year for the covered pet health care services. The minimum you have to pay each year is $100, but you also have the option of choosing $250 or $500 as the maximum deductible.
Additionally, Healthy Paws offer customizable reimbursement percentages as well and you can select one of 70%, 80%, or 90% when starting your policy.
Adjusting your deductibles and reimbursement percentages will also affect your monthly premiums.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Discount
Although Healthy Paws does not advertise any discounts on its website, you may qualify for a policy discount if your employer signs up for an employee benefit program.
You may also be eligible for special membership discounts from organizations like the AAA and AMAC, which can get you 10% off monthly premiums.
Ease of Use
Starting with Healthy Paws is very easy. Here is what you should do:
- Go to www.healthypawspetinsurance.com and click on “Start a Quote.”
- Enter the basic information about your pet and click on “See My Rates.”
- You can view your quote here and customize it by adjusting the deductible and reimbursement percentage.
- Click on the policy that is best suited to you.
- Click “Next” and enter your personal and payment information
- Start the Healthy Paws waiting period and submit your pet’s vet exam records within 15 days.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Claims
Healthy Paws processed claims rapidly without any inconvenience:
- Submit your claim by taking a photo of your vet’s bill and upload it on the company’s mobile app. There are no Healthy Paws Pet Insurance claim form that you need to fill. If you want, you can also file for reimbursement through Healthy Paws claim email, mail, or fax (888-228-4129).
- If this is your first time filing a claim with Healthy Paws, the company will review your pet’s medical records and lab tests, and other documentation regarding vet visits.
- Once they are satisfied with the assessment, they will process your claim. The site claims 99% of claims are processed within 2 business days.
- Once your claim is finalized, you will be reimbursed within 24 to 48 hours. If you are being reimbursed through a mail check, Healthy Paws may take up to 10 days to finalize your claim, depending on where you live.
Policyholders can also ask for direct deposit to their personal accounts instead of a check.
Customer Satisfaction and Financial Strength Review
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating is A+ and it has also gotten an average of 4 out of 5 stars from customers. The company has a 4.7 rating on Trustpilot from almost 600 customers. Additionally, according to Customer Advocate, Healthy Paws has a 98% lifetime customer satisfaction rate.
Having said that, Healthy Paws complaints on BBB exceed 130, with most reviews focused on the lack of clarity regarding medical conditions covered under the insurance policy. Some customers were denied reimbursement because they did not submit the pet’s physical exam records, which, in all fairness, is not Healthy Paws fault since the company states exam records are mandatory.
Other customers also complain that the Healthy Paws customer care department is slow to respond.
On nationwide insurance AM Best, Chubb, the underwriter for Healthy Paws insurance policies has an A++ financial stability rating which is the highest rating of the agency and translates to exceptional stability.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Customer Service
Healthy Paws makes it very easy to manage your account. However, if you do need to contact the customer support, you can do so on Healthy Paws Pet Insurance customer service number – 855-898-8991 on Monday through Friday from 6 am to 6 pm PST and on weekends from 8 am to 5 pm PST.
You may also fill the online form to contact them via email.
Pros & Cons
- Lifetime insurance pet insurance policies with unlimited claim limits
- Customizable payment and pricing options
- Annual deductibles
- Affordable premiums
- Extremely fast claim payments
- High customer satisfaction
- Does not provide coverage for dogs with hip dysplasia who are over 6 years old
- Does not provide preventive or wellness care options
- Does not provide coverage for vet exams
If you have read our guide and have gone over Healthy Paws Pet Insurance customer reviews, you can see that this insurance company is a favorite among pet parents.
If you are still on the fence about whether Healthy Paws is the right insurer for you, you can contact their customer care service for a more in-depth and personalized query. We also recommend reading Healthy Paws Insurance reviews in detail.
Does Healthy Paws cover medications?
Yes, Healthy Paws covers prescription drugs for illnesses and accidental injuries.
How to fill a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
Filing a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is very easy. To find out the step-by-step process, please go up to the Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Claims section on this guide.
Does Healthy Paws cover allergies?
Food allergies are not influenced by gender, age, breed, or the size of your cat or dog, as your pet can develop them unexpectedly at any time of their life. Since these are unexpected conditions, allergies are ultimately covered.
Does Healthy Paws cover blood work?
Healthy Paws does cover pet bloodwork if it is required to diagnose an unexpected illness or condition.