Nationwide Home Insurance Review 2020
- Financial Strength A+ (AM Best Rating)
- BBB Rating A+
- Support 24/7 customer support, Email, Phone, Live agent
- Coverages 5/5
- Discounts 5/5
- Flexibility Policy customization possible
- User Ratings Consumer Affairs 3.2
- Availability All states except Hawaii, Louisiana, and New Hampshire
- Pricing Affordable
About the Company
It all started with a company, selling affordable insurance policies to local farmers in 1926. It then expanded its reach, offering services to rural states and metropolitan areas, changed their name and became what we today know as the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. You can purchase homeowners, car, pet, boat, motorcycle, farm, commercial, and life insurance from them. The home insurance provider has over $158 billion in legal assets, thus making the shareholder-owned company is one of the largest in the United States.
But can you be sure it’s the one for you? There are Nationwide home insurance reviews online, but can you trust them?
Don’t worry. We’ve got ya.
How We Reviewed
The research for our Nationwide home insurance review consisted of examining several types of home insurance coverage options, including optional coverage for homeowners. We looked at the various discounts offered by this and other insurance providers and compared them.
Nationwide home insurance reviews and ratings from customers also played an important part in our review. The National home insurance ratings were satisfying.
We also reviewed the website to determine how user-friendly it is and the various options to contact the customer service and claims department they provide. We also needed to know if the Nationwide home insurance phone number was easily found.
We considered their pricing structure too. For that, we used a specific situation to determine the premium a homeowner may receive.
Where is it Available?
Nationwide home insurance is available in every state except Hawaii, Louisiana, and New Hampshire.
Home Insurance Coverage Options
Nationwide offers a large variety of coverage options for its customers. You can customize your homeowner insurance policy by choosing from the many options they offer. You can select one or more additional coverage options to add to your home insurance policy based on where you reside, your requirements, budget, and weather. If you can’t decide on a coverage option, you can always discuss this with one of your agents.
Here’s what you can choose from:
- Dwelling Insurance – It is an online quote tool that sets a replacement cost based on your given data and information on your property. You can apply for this insurance if you have made home improvements, or you think your property has decreased or increased in value. You can contact them for an adjustment.
- Personal Property Insurance – You can modify this coverage option to meet your requirements, but only if the limit is up to 70% of your dwelling insurance.
- Loss of Use Insurance– The insurance provider will reimburse you the actual cost of the lost item up to the limit on your dwelling insurance coverage.
- Personal Liability Coverage – You can choose from a wide range of coverage options covering liability for accidents that occur on your property.
- Medical Payment Insurance – You can select from several different options. They are in the range of $1,000 to $5,000.
- Ordinance or Law Insurance Coverage – You receive coverage for losses due to legal building laws and regulations.
- Credit Card Insurance – You receive coverage for forged checks, counterfeit money, and stolen cards.
- Identity Theft Insurance – It monitors your financial activity in your account and offers you up to $25,000 in reimbursement to help you cover the costs of legal fees and losses related to identity theft or fraud.
- Replacement Cost PlusInsurance– It increases the amount your standard coverage option covers by up to 20% in the event you need to rebuild your home after a loss.
- Valuable PlusInsurance– The add-on provides coverage for valuable items such as art and jewelry that may exceed the coverage amount in your standard policy.
- Water Backup Insurance– It covers the cost of repairs made to your sump pump or septic system. This is an add-on that your home insurance policy doesn’t cover.
- Flood Insurance– It covers the flood damage that your standard homeowner insurance coverage doesn’t cover. You may require flood insurance coverage if you live in an area prone to floods. You’ll have to obtain it separately, and it comes with its own deductible.
- Earthquake Insurance Coverage – You’ll need to get earthquake insurance separately, as your standard insurance coverage doesn’t cover it. For this as well, you’ll need to pay a deductible.
- Brand New Belongings Insurance – It’ll pay the costs of repairs and replacement of stolen or damaged personal property and less depreciation. With this option, you’ll receive extra reimbursements for replacements.
- Better Roof Replacement Insurance – It replaces damaged roofs after you cover the loss of a roof with a new and stronger roof made using high quality and weather-resistant materials.
Nationwide Homeowner Insurance Pricing
Just like all home insurance providers, Nationwide Home Insurance company considers several factors. This includes where you reside, how your property was built, the local crime rate, and how far your home is from emergency services. Nationwide Home Insurance reviews claim, that compared to other home insurance providers, it is relatively more affordable.
The average Nationwide home insurance quote comes to a little over the average premium ($2,068). Since they offer several discounts, you can obtain a reduced home insurance premium. The Nationwide home insurance pricing largely depends on the coverage amount on your homeowners’ insurance policy. Here’s an overview of the coverage amount and the related annual premium:
|Coverage Amount||Annual Premium|
|$50,000 to $200,000||$1,496|
|$200,000 to $400,000||$1,842|
|$400,000 to $600,000||$2, 201|
|$600,000 to $800,000||$2, 865|
|$800,000 to $1,000,000||$2, 866|
Nationwide Home Insurance Discounts
Nationwide Home Insurance offers its customers the following discounts:
- Multi-policy discount – bundles your home insurance with other coverage options from the insurance provider. For instance, bundling homeowners’ insurance with auto insurance will offer you a reduced rate.
- Claims-free discount – this will save you money if you haven’t filed a claim for three years or more.
- Protective device discount – good, if you take security measures at your home such as putting up cameras, motion detectors, fire or burglar alarm, smoke detectors, and more.
- Home renovation credit discount – the best option if you upgrade your home with new heating, plumbing, cooling, or electrical systems.
- New roof insurance discount – great, if you replace your old roof with a new roof to combat storms. It will also cost you less money to insure it.
- Prior insurance discount – the right choice, if you switch from your previous home insurance provider to Nationwide. It can lower your rates based on how many years you have been with your previous home insurance provider.
- Home purchase discount – suitable, if you had bought your home in the past 12 months.
- Gated community discount – this will save you money if you live in a gated community with around the clock security.
Customer Satisfaction and Financial Strength Review
Nationwide Home Insurance has fairly positive reviews for its size. In 2019, the J.D. Power’s awarded the home insurance provider with three out of five stars for customer satisfaction, repairs, and claim settlements. As for Nationwide home insurance customer reviews and complaints, the insurance provider has received complaints about delays in the claim settlement process, substandard offers, and claim denials.
The Nationwide home insurance BBB rating and Nationwide home insurance AM Best Rating are excellent. In terms of financial strength rating, they have a fairly good one.
However, in terms of providing customers easy access, the home insurance provider stands out. You can fill out their online application to receive an estimate within a few minutes. You can even discuss your options with a live agent. They also offer an efficient mobile app, which you can use to pay your bill, manage your various coverage options, and file a claim.
You can contact their customer sales and service department from their website or call them. Their sales team is available from 8 AM to 10 PM from Monday to Friday and from 9 AM to 7:30 PM on Saturday.
Their customer service department is available from 8 AM to 9 PM on weekdays only. The Nationwide home insurance customer service number is 1-877-669-6877. You can also find an agent to talk to regarding your coverage from their website. You can also fill out a feedback form online. If your query isn’t urgent, you can email them.
Ease of Buying and Claims Handling
You need to create an account on their website to access certain features designed for customers. You can change your plan, add new coverage options, pay bills, and updating billing information online. The website is easy to navigate.
You can file a claim at any time, online, via phone call, or from their free mobile app. The Nationwide Home insurance claims phone number is 1-800-421-3535. Once you have filed a claim, you can track it by logging in on the website or through the mobile app. You will not face any issue navigating the website to find different information. They also offer a member resource guide for customers seeking more information.
Comparison with Competitors
This comparison will give you an idea about the home insurance provider you should choose:
Nationwide Home Insurance vs. State Farm
State Farm Home Insurance’s customer service support is better, as reviews about Nationwide Home Insurance have pointed out low response times, especially regarding their claim process. If you’re looking for discounts, you won’t get them with State Farm, so you’re better off going with Nationwide Home Insurance.
Nationwide Home Insurance vs. Geico Home Insurance
Both Geico and Nationwide are known for offering a lot of discounts, but Geico offers a bit more. Geico offers a better customer experience as well. The downside to choosing Geico over Nationwide is that they offer limited access to agents. Nationwide offers access to agents by connecting them to you from their website.
Nationwide Nome Insurance vs. Allstate Home Insurance
Allstate Home Insurance offers a diverse number of coverage options and discounts. You can customize your homeowners’ insurance based on your situation. The home insurance coverage is best for homeowners who want to customize their home insurance policy, but it isn’t best for luxury properties. Nationwide home insurance is a good option for people who live in a luxury home.
Nationwide Home insurance vs. Farmers Insurance
Farmers Home Insurance is more costly than Nationwide Home Insurance. You can customize Farmers Home Insurance for electronics and jewelry. If you want more than one pricing option, Farmers Home Insurance may be right for you, as Nationwide doesn’t offer three tiers of coverage.
However, Farmers offer fewer discounts than Nationwide.
Pros & Cons
- Discounts include reduced rates for new or renovated homes
- Inflation protection for covered item replacement is included
- Optional replacement cost coverage provides additional reimbursement
- Nationwide is rated lowest of all homeowners insurance providers in our analysis
- A wide variety of options are offered but can quickly drive up the cost
- Customer complaints regarding their slow claim process
Nationwide Home Insurance reviews recommend it for those looking for flexible homeowners’ insurance. The provider offers a wide variety of coverage options and discounts to its customers. This makes it easier for homeowners to customize their insurance coverage. It also prevents them from buying options that they don’t need.
Homeowners can benefit from several discounts. The downside is that water backup insurance isn’t part of the standard homeowners’ coverage option. You’ll have to purchase it separately, but in doing so, it’ll increase your annual premium.
Nationwide Home Insurance offers a simple and easy to use online application and claims process. You can generate a quote right from their website without needing to contact a live agent. You’ll earn convenience points when you submit claims through your mobile app, which is free to download, or you can file it online via their website.
Out of all the home insurance providers, our analysis revealed that they are rated as the lowest home insurance provider. You can use Nationwide home insurance review as a guide to making the right decision.
Is Nationwide a good homeowner’s insurance company?
Nationwide Home Insurance company ranks average or lower for home insurance. The insurance provider is better known for offering excellent life insurance coverage. They’re still regarded as one of the best insurance carriers available for people due to their customizable and affordable coverage options for different types of home and income levels.
Is Nationwide home insurance expensive?
Nationwide Home Insurance offers a yearly premium of around $2,000. The home insurance company offers standard coverage for the replacement costs for personal property, dwellings, inflation protection, loss of use, and ordinances and loss assessment.
How does Nationwide underwrite its home insurance policies?
The Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance PLC underwrites the home insurance policies of Nationwide Home Insurance.
Where Is Nationwide home insurance coverage available?
Nationwide Home Insurance Coverage is available in all states, except in Hawaii, New Hampshire, and Louisiana.
Which is better State Farm vs. Nationwide?
Nationwide provides homeowners with affordable premiums, discounts, and excellent customer service. However, their online and mobile services compared to State Farm are unsatisfactory, according to Nationwide Home Insurance reviews. The home insurance provider you choose to go with solely depends on your requirements and budget.