PetPlan Pet Insurance Review 2021
PetPlan Pet Insurance reviews testify to the extensive lifetime coverage provided by the insurance company. The insurance agency pays vets up to 90% of the cost directly, within 5 business days to process the claim. The comprehensive business plan also ensures that your pet is protected well.
If you have any questions, you can always call the PetPlan phone number, 844-251-5462. However, after reading this review, you may settle all your confusion about Pet Plan Limited once and for all.
How We Reviewed
Our review method to help you learn more about PetPlan Pet Insurance was as follows:
We analyzed PetPlan’s website for different coverage features, looking for:
- Types of incidents and bills that are covered or not covered
- Restrictions involved
- Reimbursement percentages
- Pricing and discounts
- We analyzed the customer support and claims process abilities of the company
- We studied the reviews to gauge the PetPlan insurance rating from user review websites
- We compare PetPlan to the competition
Where Is It Available
PetPlan is licensed to work in all 50 states of the United States of America and all of Canada. It is affiliated with the sister company of the UK called PetPlan Pet Insurance. The company is headquartered in Newton Square, Pennsylvania, but there are offices in New York and Winnipeg, Canada, as well.
PetPlan Pet Insurance Review
Types of Coverage
PetPlan Insurance coverage offers a whole package cover plan that includes all sorts of elements and features. You get a quote based on your pet’s breed and age, your location, reimbursement levels, annual coverage, and annual deductibles. The pet insurance policies have different coverage options that you can get according to your needs.
Pet insurance for dogs and pet insurance for cats have the same coverage options, so you don’t have to worry if you have both in the house.
Types of Insurance Coverage
Pet insurance covers you for a lifetime. It is not an accident-only coverage plan; instead, it offers all sorts of additional coverage like dental, homeopathic, chiropractic care, and acupuncture.
What Is Covered and Not Covered
PetPlan Pet Insurance offers decent coverage options that can help keep your pet safe. Here is everything that is covered by the comprehensive pet insurance policy:
- Pet Physical Therapy
- Vet Exam Fee
- Pet Emergency
- Pet Hereditary Conditions
- Pet Bloodwork
- Pet Rehabilitation
- Pet Prosthetics
- Financial Assistance For Pet Surgery
- Pet Alternative Medicine
- Emergency Veterinary Care
- Pet Behavioral Therapy
- Pet Cancer
- Pet Chronic Conditions
- Pet Holistic Medicine
- Pet Prescription Drug Coverage
- Routine Vet Care For Dogs
- Hip Dysplasia (as long as no symptoms or signs were seen before the policy was taken or during the first 6 months)
- Pet Parasite Treatment
PetPlan Pet Insurance is upfront about what it doesn’t cover so that you don’t feel like you were scammed once you have the insurance intact. Here is everything that is not covered by the plan:
- Insurance and Pre Existing Conditions
- Pet Insurance that covers breeding
- Pet Wellness Plans
- Prophylactic Teeth Cleaning
- Pet Insurance Preventive Care Coverage
PetPlan Pet Insurance Pricing
The cost of the insurance plan depends on your needs. It can go to as low as $20 per month to $100 per month or even higher. It has coverage limits (annual) starting from $2,500 all the way to unlimited plans. The lower the coverage limit you go for, the lower the monthly premium plan will be. They also offer $250-$1,000 deductibles as well as 70-90% reimbursements. The lower the reimbursement and higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium costs will be.
PetPlan Pet Insurance Discounts and Features
PetPlan discounts are available for use. If you purchase the insurance plan online, you can avail an automatic 5% discount. There are also discounts available for humane NGOs or animal shelters, medical services, serving military members and veterans, strategic partners, and corporate benefit plans for groups as well as veterinary students and clinic staff.
There is a PetPlan application that you can use for all sorts of services, such as filing claims. You can also manage your insurance policies, submit vet records or paperwork, and even add pets to the policy plan when you get a new member of the family. The application is available for Android and iOS.
Ease of Buying
Pet insurance from PetPlan is pretty easy to buy. You can purchase the policy online after adding details about your pet and your requirement from the policy plan. There are no enrollment fees, and the policy comes into effect at 12:01 AM (EST) one day after the enrollment.
Medical records aren’t typically needed to enroll, but records might be requested based on your pet’s medical history of what medication they are on, recent illnesses or injuries, etc. There are no upper age limits to get insurance. You can also add a new pet to the insurance policy whenever you like through the PetPlan application or by calling them at their helpline.
Filing claims is pretty easy with PetPlan. You can fill out the simple PetPlan claim form from their website. You only need to login to your account on PetPlan, print the form, complete it, sign where directed, and fax or email it to them. The PetPlan insurance claim form can also be submitted on their PetPlan application. You should also include the medical record release form and the itemized receipts from the treatment.
If this is the first time you are making a claim, the Medical Record Release Form needs to be signed and sent to all the veterinarians that your pet has visited in the last two years. You can also mail everything to the PetPlan address of Claims Department, PetPlan, 3805 West Chester Pike, Suite 240, Newtown Square, PA 19073.
You have up to 90 days to file the claim.
How Does Reimbursement Work?
Cats and dogs that are 5 years old or less get 90%, 80%, and 70% reimbursement options with $100, $250, and $500 deductibles. Cats and dogs that are 6 and 7 years old get 80%, 70% or 60% reimbursement options with $250, $500 or $750 deductibles. Cats and dogs that are 8 years or more get 60% reimbursement and $750 deductibles.
PetPlan Waiting Periods
The PetPlan waiting period is of 15 days after enrollment for illnesses or accidents. There is also a 6 month exclusionary period for cruciates, patellas, and hip dysplasia. You can get this waiting period waived if a vet examines the pet within the first 30 days of getting the pet insurance and confirms that there is no indication of knee problems.
Customer Satisfaction and Financial Strength Review
PetPlan Pet Insurance has pretty great reviews as well as some complaints. Most reviews left on the most trusted websites are mixed in nature. Here are some:
- Trustpilot gives them a 79% rating
- Expert Insurance Reviews gives them a 4-star rating
- Yelp has a 2.5-star rating for PetPlan from 482 reviews out of which 165 were 5-star reviews
- Consumer Affairs gives them a 1-star rating from 46 reviews
- Canine Journal has ranked them at 4.3 stars out of 5 in their review
- PetPlan BBB rating is A+
PetPlan complaints aren’t as frequent. Some common complaints include denied claims and increasing premiums, but these complaints are also noticed for other similar services. The company has explained the rate increase in a note, suggesting that it was due to underwriter changes. Claim denial complaints are often due to misunderstandings with exclusion policies and coverage options.
You can get PetPlan customer service through email, live chat, and phone, where they are available 24/7, unlike some companies that have strict timings. You can even get support from their application. They are responsive to PetPlan customer reviews in some cases and always try to address concerns. PetPlan’s customer care is not bad overall.
Comparison with Competitors
Here is a quick overview of how PetPlan stands against its competitors:
- PetPlan Vs Healthy Paws: Healthy Paws doesn’t cover hip dysplasia claims if your pet is 6 years old or more. They also have a 12-month waiting period, which is twice as long as PetPlan. In comparison to Healthy Paws, PetPlan covers exam fees, boarding fees, virtual visits, and behavioral therapy.
- PetPlan Vs Trupanion: PetPlan processes your claims within 5-14 business, but Trupanion can take up to 60 days, which is a huge waiting period to get your claims filed.
- PetPlan Vs Nationwide: PetPlan has many coverage options that Nationwide does not, such as hereditary conditions and dental insurance.
Pros & Cons
- There is a 5% discount for anyone who purchases the insurance online
- Plans cover losing your pet, advertising for lost pets, and any canceled vacations due to an illness
- No per condition claims or lifetime limits
- A+ BBB rating
- Claims are processed in 5-14 business days
- Application support through Android and iOS
- Exam fees for sick visits are covered
- Coverage throughout the US and Canada
- No discount for multiple pets
- Must take the dog within 48 hours of noticing signs or symptoms of injury or illness for coverage to apply
- Requires invoice from the vet and may delay payments and claims based on waiting periods
- Dogs need to get annual dental and health checkups to receive coverage
- Covers ACL (CCL) on the other leg only if the first leg stays healed for a year
- No wellness plans
- Sample quotes can be higher than other competitors
- $3.50 processing fees for credit cards for quarterly or monthly payments
How do I submit a claim with PetPlan?
Fill out a simple form and submit through email, fax, mail, or the PetPlan application.
Does PetPlan cover medication?
Does PetPlan cover neutering?
They do not cover routine services like neutering, vaccination, and microchipping.
Does insurance cover allergies?
Yes, it does, as long as your vet recommends it.
Does PetPlan insurance go up every year?
The rates go up as your pet ages.
How long does PetPlan take to payout?
They process the claims within 5-14 business days and then payout after that.
Can I cancel PetPlan insurance?
You can cancel the insurance within 14 days of purchase.